Saturday, October 14, 2006

Hala!

Annika, I agreed with Terry and Jasper–

Accident or not, there will be no repercussions.

Families of victims will sue, and Terry's right, that will be the end of it. History will regard the incident as human error, but not an intentional act of war.

All we can do in the wake of this particular tragedy is to pray for both those who died and for the loved ones left behind. Maybe, one day, we little peons who dot the surface of the planet will not be so mad or quick to shoot passing foreign objects out of the sky.

We're already seeing diplomats try to squirrel this thing away via back channels. Sad, and yes cynical to say, that were it not for the inevitable litigation, this thing would disappear from global news feeds by this time next week. –Which, yes, Annika, is a terrible thing for me to say in light of the still near memories of the deaths on 7/27. But, here is another cruel fact of life I've learned:

Some deaths go down in history; others are lost to it.

Hey, speaking of the news –and lately I speak of it all the time– some situation this business in Turkey, yes? Al Jazeera has me doing some background on it –whatever context I can Google for producers of the on air segments. Not sure which way they will go, but if I had to guess, I'd say expect a potentially stupefying story from the seat of the Ottoman Empire just about any day now, or not.

Siraj!