Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SMASH FACED DETECTIVES!

Ah, Jasper, I'm sorry, I forgot. I started your book like three weeks ago, and then 7/27 happened and I haven't gotten back to it. Will try to get back to it soon, my friend!

and yes, no doubt Lowell will be apprehended via the collective efforts of a consortium of cooperating parties, just as you have put forth. Even now we can see how the actions of OPEC combined with efforts produced by the members of the OIC serve to enhance each other. If Indonesia, with the largest Muslim population in the world, can count a European country like Norway as an ally, then Lowell and his ilk will have few places to run or hide. Who will continue to harbor him with global pressure mounting? Even the United States isn't that obstinate.

At least I hope not.

Annika– thank you for your words of support.

and it's true: I have indeed slept very little lately. But I nevertheless remain alert thanks to strong coffee, copious amounts of sugar, and the sense of purpose that one feels when one’s heart has been shaken by recent catastrophe. One might think this state to be one of active chaos, but in actuality I feel completely the opposite: I am heavy with the unexceptional ordinariness of daily life.

It is little more than three weeks since 7/27, and 'order' –if you can call it that– has returned to Kuala Lumpur. To be honest, it is more of a process. Things bend back to normal a little bit each day. And I don't just mean the city, because what do I know of Kuala Lumpur, I've just been here a month or so. I mean, me, my brain, my heart. It is still out of whack, but it I can operate.

As far as the city goes, it is strange to me that the clearing of debris has been so quickly and efficiently integrated into the metropolitan rhythm, as though these people have always been clearing debris of one sort or another, so what's a couple fallen towers.

In fact, I sense that in this part of the world –whether it because of terrorist attack or tsunami– that there are few grieving days here. Tragedy? They call it 'life' here. But grieve and you not only stop everything, but put your own life in jeopardy as well. For not to work means not to eat; and not to eat means to die; and if you die, well then, what’s the point?

and yes, I am indeed feeling a bit loneliness from time to time. Fortunately, I am kept busy by unremitting research requests coming out of our Washington offices from Nathalie Joost. Does anyone at Aljazeera International realize that I have been a staff memeber not two months! or that there is no longer anyone here to show me the proper way to do things? So, what do I do? I just do whatever it takes and they get done.

In the meantime, I sense a new palpable tension growings here. People on the streets say justice has not been met; that justice is too slow; that these terrorists must be pulled out of their American or British beds –if that’s where they are– and torched with gasoline. And I think I'm inclined to agree.

As a matter of fact, many say that though the representatives of this government have made declarations to the effect that an international resolution is in order, nobody here really believes that Malaysia or India –much less Indonesia– will wait much longer for the West to secure and extradite these so called suspected crusaders.

Indian diplomats are said to be very close to a public accusation that MI5 not only knows where these terrorists are, but knew exactly what these terrorists were planning before they did it, and let them do it anyway. –And now some say that the Indian government suspects the British government of standing idle while hundreds of white supremacists burrow deep underground.

Similar stories have come out Denmark and Germany; indeed from everywhere in the European Union, and North America. Well, look at Lowell. He's white. He's American. The others were European. They're all Nazis. You don't find people like that in Malaysia naturally.

Add to this rumors that the Indian government had to whisk Prince Harry and his girlfriend off a beach in Goa –and out of country– under cover of darkness, before all the bodies where cleared from the crash site in Mumbai. personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that turned out to be true!

While quietly, in the background, the families of those who tragically died at the KLCC site have begun to surface with the requisite legal representation. They are demanding restitution from the governments, the crusaders, the airports, the airlines, and not to mention Petroliam Nasional.

It’s a real mess.

Siraj