Friday, July 28, 2006

Jasp here- by now everyone is thinking what I'm thinking –it does not look good for Siraj! does anyone know anyone who's heard from him? has anyone tried calling his parents to see if he called them or if they were contacted by the authorities? i wish i had their number. i don't want to think the worse, but didn't he say he was in Tower 2? it went down at 9:58am. it was 8:40am when he posted his last entry. so, he had the time, i think, and he could have gotten out, but and i quote–

"At 9:04 AM, hijacked Al-Qadar Airlines Flight 705 hit 2 Petronas, crashing through the 37th to 44th floors."

and we know that cause it took off the sky bridge connecting the towers. and that guy's office that siraj was sitting in when he was posting was on the 36th floor. so, think about, when you see that video and see the big fireball exploding out of the middle of Tower 2, that's where Siraj was sittin, posting to us!

i don't know, i just don't know what to think about this–

see below, from the Malaysian Times, yeah I know you can read it in the American press, but damn, these writers were there and the way they tell it, it's fucking visceral.

in the meantime, don't anyone stop praying for SIRAJ!

* * *


MALAYSIAN TIMES: Kuala Lumpur – July 28, 2006: On the morning of the first day of Rajab, July 27, 2006, in an inconceivably bizarre parallel to the September 11, 2001 destruction of the World Trade Center in the United States, the cabins of Al-Qadar Airlines Flight’s 311, 705, 1012 and 1013 were breached by an as of yet unknown number of men. Two of the planes were flown directly into the Petronas Twin Towers. Another jet crashed in Mumbai killing hundreds, and the fourth was lost at sea, apparently well before it reached its apparent target in Indonesia.

Both motivation and association of the hijackers are unknown. In Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay, a city of 16 million, Indian police suspect that Kashmiri militants could be linked to the attacks. Although what effect targeting Malaysia and Indonesia could have on their cause is also unknown.

In Kuala Lumpur, local law enforcement officers are said to be interviewing key members of the Malaysian Trade Union Congress. Earlier this year the MTUC led a crowd of hundreds to the Petronas Twin Towers where protesters, defying a ban on public assemblies, chanted anti-government slogans, which called for lower fuel prices. The Malaysian Government raised petrol prices in February as part of a larger effort to curb subsidies. At the time, more than 20 demonstrators were arrested, and some of those allege receiving critical beatings by authorities.

The first hijacked plane, Al-Qadar Airlines Flight 311, a 737 en route from Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) to Mumbai International Airport (BOM) was diverted to Malaysia where it descended to approximately three hundred and twenty meters above sea level. Current reports estimate the speed of the low flying jet at upwards to five hundred miles an hour. Attempts by KLIA Air Traffic Control to contact the hijackers failed. Once over the Malay Peninsula, the plane cut a direct path across Kuala Lumpur, before turning a wide arc –apparently using the Titiwangsa Monorail station as a landmark. Completing the arc, the jet then finished it’s flight when it collided into the upper potion of Petronas Tower 1, leaving a surreal smoldering hole in its wake.

The moment of impact was at 8:45 AM.

Evidence suggests hundreds were killed on impact; that the building’s stairwells above the seventy-sixth floor became impassable; and that survivors inhabiting the seventy-seventh through eighty-sixth floors had no choice but to wait for aid and assistance. Some occupants of the tower apparently expected airborne evacuation by helicopter rescue teams that never arrived. Those below the seventy-seventh floor had a brief opportunity to escape the burning tower via the sky bridge that connects the two towers at the 41st and 42nd floors.

Initial reports detail a structural shudder in Tower 1 upon impact, but it produced no panic in those unaware of the unfolding event above them.

At about 8:51, an announcement over the public-address system in the still unscathed Tower 2 stated that while an incident had occurred Tower 1, Tower 2 was safe and that occupants should remain in –or return to– their offices. Clearly, the prospect of another plane hitting Tower 2 was beyond the contemplation of anyone in an advisory position. As a result of the announcement, many civilians reversed evacuation and returned to their offices.

At about the same time, arriving Rescue Units were ordered into Tower 1. By then, although it was clear a plane had hit the building, those in charge did not realize that the explosion had been large enough to send a fireball down the shaft which blew out elevators throughout the building, and all of the windows in the lobby. Conditions were in fact so dire that some employees of Petroliam Nasional, whose offices fully occupy Tower 1, began jumping from the upper floors of the building.

In the eighteen minute period between 8:45 and 9:03 A.M. well over a thousand first responders had been deployed and an evacuation had begun, with a central command post having been set up in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, a five star hotel immediately across from the Towers in the KLCC complex. Though the scene was still chaotic, at 9:00 AM one officer was heard to comment, “At least the worst is over.”

At 9:04 AM, hijacked Al-Qadar Airlines Flight 705 hit 2 Petronas, crashing through the 37th to 44th floors.

Upon impact a jet fuel fireball erupted out the other side of Tower 2, weakening the structure and causing further severe structural damage to Tower 1. As the jet tore through the edifice at hundreds of mile an hour, parts of the plane or the building effectively sheared through the suspended sky bridge, which joined the towers. The resulting rupture is thought to have sent at least a hundred bodies down to their deaths on to the roof of Suria KLCC, the six-story shopping mall nestled between the towers.

At 9:38 AM (7:08AM local Indian Time), hijacked Al-Qadar Airlines Flight 1012 crashed into the streets of Mumbai. It's ultimate target or mission is thus far unknown. Hundreds of Indian nationals died in the fire ball as the plane careened though intensely crowded early morning rush hour traffic.

At 9:58AM, Tower 2 collapsed, killing all civilians and emergency personnel inside, as well a number of individuals in Suria KLCC. The top of the building tilted off its axis and then fell on top, and into, nearby Maxis Tower. KLCC station also suffered significant damage. The lower half of the tower collapsed into itself, creating a massive debris cloud.

The offices of Tower 2 were leased by Petroliam Nasional to a number of various tenants, including recent arrival Al-Jazeera International, which moved into the sixtieth floor earlier in the spring and expected a channel launch in September.

At 10:07 AM, hijacked Al-Qadar Airlines Flight 1013, originally bound for Bangkok from Perth, and thought to have as its target a military installation in Jakarta, Indonesia crashes in the Straits of Malacca after –it is believed– passengers struggled with the highjackers in a vain attempt to regain control of the airplane. In all 67 passengers and crew die in the fatal open sea crash.

In Malaysia, Petronas Tower 1 finally collapsed at 10:28 A.M., killing all civilians alive on upper floors, an undetermined number below, and scores of first responders. Many Kuala Lumpur Emergency Responders senior staff were also killed. Incredibly, twelve firefighters and three civilians –one of which a was reporter for Al Jazeera shadowing the firefighters in their rescue mission– survived its collapse…

Malaysian Times